Bike infrastructure — how not to do it

not the way to do it

I’m not entirely sure where I took this photo — Atlanta, maybe? [Thanks to the first commenter below for discovering that this was taken in Athens, Georgia] But it strikes me as a fine counter-example for bike infrastructurists to heed. I’ll leave it to y’all in the comments to provide a thorough critique, but I reckon we can all agree that this is not actually better than nothing. Or perhaps we can’t — let the discussion begin!

Like what you’re reading? Check out my print publications.

13 Responses to “Bike infrastructure — how not to do it”

1. Steven E. Newton May 8, 2012 at 8:00 am #

The EXIF data in the original file shows it was taken in Athens, GA. The lane markings are clearly visible on the street view.

• Elly May 8, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Aha, thanks — I wouldn’t have guessed that the location would be recorded. Will update the post!

2. Utility cyclist May 8, 2012 at 8:17 am #

First, I’d note that the bicycle symbol says you can go straight, but the primary lane markings show a right turn. Are bikes exempted from the right turn?

• Elly May 8, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Hmm, that’s not clear — I don’t recall any signs that clarified it, but I may be wrong.

3. Christopher Kidd (@BikeBlogChris) May 8, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I also loathe the “bike-in-house” symbol. It’s not a sharrow, it’s not a bike lane, it’s just …. yick.

4. Sam May 8, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Can’t tell if you’re asking what it is, or you just dislike it – but I believe it is one of the first sharrow symbols, now transformed into a Chevron symbol.

5. Sam May 8, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Never mind. Haven’t had coffee yet. I get what you stated now.
    Note to self: drink coffee before reading blogs.

• Elly May 8, 2012 at 10:05 am #

:) I have a similar rule for myself, which I sometimes follow.

6. Cecily May 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

There are so many of these around Vancouver (BC). One of the worst runs along side a 4-lane one-way street that intersects with traffic outflow from one of the city’s bridges, and hardly anyone comes off that bridge at the speed limit. To make it worse, the lane is also shared by drivers coming off the four-lane road who are trying to make a right turn. Making a right turn onto the street that the bridge traffic is flowing onto is like playing a game of chicken that nobody can possibly win, though I’ve seen braver cyclists take it on. I always ride up onto the sidewalk instead of using the lane.

7. Joanna May 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Ah Poor Athens!
    I immediately recognized this location unfortunately having often had to take the left lane to turn left to go to yoga. If you instead turn right, the good news is that there is new bike lanes on that street – converted from a 4 lane to 3 lane road in the recent paving. The bad news is that it is a much frequented road for both cyclists and motorists with these symbols for a good 2 miles back. They are largely ignored and it is only by dint of being a fairly bike-aware community that it is passable. The very good news is that there are plans to revamp this corridor with bike-friendly voices being heard and considered.
    Any suggestions?

8. Eric W May 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Well —

Bike in ‘da House

at least it’s a bike. Now take it out of thehouse and out on a ride!

You should see the City of Los Angles’s anorexic sharrows…maybe the camera will make them look fatter…

PS – The rightmost lane that serve your destination is the correct one – take the center of the lane if nescessary to indacate intent to other drivers.

9. Chris Baskind May 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

That’s the international symbol for “this way to a right-hook”.

10. CelloMom May 25, 2012 at 2:33 am #

My visceral reaction to these is: NO NO NO!!
    Similar signs showed up in my town this year. Most bikers still keep to the sidewalks. If it’s not separated from the cars by a tire-eating curb it’s not useful for bikers. Painting bike signs on the road is just a cheap-o cop-out.

Besides, car drivers should not be encouraged to drive over bikes or bikers, not even in effigy.