Bragging rights: What have you carried by bike?

I find very few things in life more satisfying than finding new ways to carry stuff by bike. Especially the kind of things that you really *shouldn’t* be able to bike with. The one thing that is possibly more satisfying? Getting to talk about it later.

Fortunately, I’m not alone in enjoying these indulgences. Every time the topic of carrying things by bike comes up, everyone has stories to proudly share. Much as I can’t get enough of the “a refrigerator and a Christmas tree” tales, my favorite are the stories of people who are new to riding and have no rack or basket but have figured out how to carry a bag of groceries or cat food anyway.

For the yet-to-be-initiated, Chapter 4 of Everyday Bicycling is all about how to carry stuff, from your school/work things to cupcakes to lumber.

I asked for bicycle cargo stories on Twitter today, and responses came in from all over the map. They are compiled here. Read them and marvel! And be sure to check out the links and pictures…and share your own.

What are you most proud to have carried by bicycle? Brag away in the comments….

7 Responses to “Bragging rights: What have you carried by bike?”

1. rubin110 November 5, 2012 at 11:01 am #

I once pulled 1/5th of a band during an SF Tweed Ride.

Be sure to check out the recording.

2. Lisa C November 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Hmm… I’ve carried a lot of things on my bike, which is just a hybrid, not a cargo/longtail or anything special. Here’s some of the bigger stuff I’ve biked with at various times:
    a 15 lb turkey for Xmas
    4 large pumpkins
    my toddler & 40-50 lbs of groceries from Costco, including 16 puppets
    40lb bags of kitty litter
    my 3 foot stilts & fairy costume (I wore the wings)

3. Ben November 6, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Two giant batteries for a diesel box truck was definitely the heaviest, but fully loaded bike trailer (carries five bikes and wheels) is always the most awkward. Pretty psyched about being able to pick up manure for compost by bike this winter!

4. JohnnyK November 7, 2012 at 5:31 am #

I have carried lots of things on my hybrid also..
    20 lbs dog food
    20 lbs of chicken feed
    large bag of potting soil
    complete Christmas dinner including the turkey.
    truck starter
    truck battery
    Lots of Wine (3 liter box table wine) and Beer (24 can)

All with just a rear rack and paniers no trailer.

• Elly November 7, 2012 at 7:17 am #

I love all these stories.

Here’s a proposal that’s sure to be contested: The less carrying capacity you have on your bike, the more bragging rights you get for carrying stuff.

5. Craig Harlow November 7, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I’ve carried six different dates on my Yuba Mundo V1 (not at the same time) and they liked it :^)

6. Cac November 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I carried a whole bunch of big rocks to make a rock garden. I did about ten trips. (A bit later I had a bunch of broken spokes. I didn’t make the connection at first.)